Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

Westbury Wander

Today we went to visit Mick and Helen in Westbury. I took part in a really enjoyable run around the hills called the Westbury Wander, the others went for a nice dog walk in the pouring rain. Super fun!

Oscar had a great day, he loves going to see Nanna and Grandad (as you can see from the picture he had lots of fun) and it was a chance for George to meet the canine side of the family.

The run was quite a small event run by Stampede Sports around the Westbury hills near the White Horse. The organisers did a great job and the participants were all very friendly and welcoming.  There were some families, a range of ages and faster runners which meant there was a mixed group; which was reassuring for slow coaches like me.

The checkpoints were well positioned; slow runners could go for a meandering route collecting as many lower scoring checkpoints without going too far a-field. Faster entrants could test themselves and go for the far reaching red flags but I don't think anyone could get them all in the time limit.  The weather was really wet and visibility was tough, all of the flags were put just out of line of sight but not stupidly hidden and their positioning on the map was spot on.

I was surprised that I'd not done so badly on the ranking table and really had a great time. I was convinced that I'd come last so just concentrated on enjoying the run. I planned a route for all the yellow flags and all but one blue, but couldn't find one yellow flag and must have run straight past in a post hill climb confusion ;( but did finish, quite a lot wetter than I started, just inside the time limit.  My phone GPS went crazy when I started recording so a bit of misleading data but here's the google map that I recorded on My Tracks http://goo.gl/maps/jCW3. I've put a copy of the race map with the other pictures.

I passed an awesome chalk pit which the army use as a firing range for training, I took a photo that you can see below. I got snapped by the event photographer, the proper pictures are listed on the link above but I've taken a screen grab of the low res picture for this post.





No comments:

Post a Comment