Pages

Sunday 29 May 2011

Ham Wood

We've had a lovely weekend at home decorating the kitchen, we went for a warm Mediterranean theme to contrast the softer cottage style in the adjacent front room.

We finished the kitchen and then went for a nice walk from our home in Shepton Mallet, past Bowlish and into Ham to walk back through the woods.

It's such a lovely time of year with all the spring growth, the woods smelt of fresh wild garlic which have sprung up since the bluebells have finished flowering.

Nicky planned the route from our OS map and fortunately, as you don't always know how well maintained the public footpaths are, she took us neatly into Ham and through a farm (past an impressively built defensive looking bull) into the woods. I recorded the track with My Tracks and you can see the route here.

Leaving the woods we passed some unusual undulating terrain as a result from old lead mining with exposed limestone rocks due to erosion so took a couple of photos.

You can see that the climb up the steps out of the old mined area was pretty steep, but the view across to Glastonbury Tor from the top made it worth it!

I think we'll all sleep well tonight, I'd better get some rest as I'm taking part in a 90 minute trail run tomorrow called the Westbury Wander. I'm sure I'll be Mr. Jelly Legs by this time tomorrow ;)!




No comments:

Post a Comment